Monday, August 9, 2010

Honesty

Are you honest? If you are, then are you kind? Can you be both? If your truly honest, you should tell people what they don't want to hear. Right? "Speak your truth," a friend used to say that to me all the time. I don't think that was her own though. She isn't my friend anymore. Partly because in her honesty, she forgave herself cruelty.

So if your an honest person, you will know what is real, what is truth, and what is necessary to say. I believe I am honest. I'll answer honestly any question that someone bothers to ask me. I don't think I'm cruel though. In fact I would rather pull out my eye teeth, than be cruel to anyone. I believe that most people that believe themselves to be hardcore truth tellers seriously lack all compassion. I don't really understand how someone that is honest can miss the ugliness in that.

I've been told I'm a sugar coater, or deliver bad truths in a fluffy way. Why is that a bad thing? If I am telling someone something they don't want to here, or "speaking my truth," why can't I do it in a way that lessens the sting. You know, now that I think about it, I think that it is the introduction to all these self empowering books and seminars that have made so many people loose touch with compassion. I can tell someone, "sorry hon, your husband is cheating" in my way. I don't have to scream at them, "what the hell, he is a man whore and your an idiot to stay!" Seriously? That is just mean. But many of these books say you should put your self first and stand up for yourself. How that translates into being cruel is beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment